Saturday, April 11, 2015

Broadway Dreams

I was the girl with the hairbrush
Singing into it at the top of my lungs
Stopping only to run the mic through my short brown mop top, perpetually tangled.

I was the girl who listened to CĂ©line and  Streisand instead of the Spice Girls. I had dreams bigger than my little body could contain. I wanted the stage, the lights, the attention. 

I wanted to sing for more than my elementary school talent show. More than backseat signing, more than the hairbrush. Broadway, I wanted Broadway.

I craved attention and affirmation, praise for my talents. Worthwhile. 

--------------

I accepted Christ when I was about 15 years old. Praise, in this new life, was given to my Savior, not myself. Like magic, my desires to own the stage disappeared; as I discovered the beauty of Christ more, my personal desires ruled less. 

I stopped thinking about the fame and performing. I didn't want to be anyone's "Idol". The "X factor" in my life was grace and redemption. Friends and family pressed me, "so when are you gonna make it big?" to which I would reply, "I already have."

------------------------

This year, I have had the extreme privilege of being a member of VirtuOSO. Working with these 13 talented musicians has made me the happiest I've been in college. I find a great deal of fulfillment in working with a team towards a common goal. For me, it is always about the group. I am honored to represent VirtuOSO on stage. I believe in who we are. Always have, always will. 

We didn't expect to get this far.

We have placed first in both our quarterfinal and semifinal round. We are over the moon thrilled to have advanced; VirtuOSO, the underdogs, the kids in it to have fun. Tomorrow morning, we leave for finals in New York City. We perform at the Beacon Theater on Broadway, home of many great shows (including the Tony's). 

What amazes me, beyond VirtuOSO's extreme fortune, is how the Lord has brought me to my deepest desires, but on His terms. For the last 5 years, I have done my best (as a broken, undeserving human), to make manifest the glory of God. VirtuOSO is an outlet of praise for me, a close community of friends. Despite my letting go of the earthly desires of attention and self-seeking, He still gave me this one-in-a-million opportunity to sing on Broadway. 

My God is a God of fulfilling dreams, dreams that He sets in our hearts at inexplicable times and brings them into the Light when He deems most glorifying. Father, I will glorify You in this moment, in this dream come true. Not because I want, but because You give.

To Him be the glory, honor, and power.

No comments:

Post a Comment